[Talk-us] More about named driveways in Virginia

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Tue Apr 11 14:37:27 UTC 2017

Hello all,

         I emailed Paul E. Harvey, director of community development,
Campbell County, Virginia, about the "named driveways" issue. He gave
me more information about road conventions in  Virginia.
         1. I noticed that the driveway from the highway to Rustberg
High School had a four-digit number. Harvey replied, "VDOT IVirginia
Department of Transportation) assigns those four digit numbers to
roads that serve public facilities like schools."
         2. Campbell County requires that any driveway that serves
three houses or more be named. Residents choose the name, so it can
be a family name.
         3. The named driveways that I am seeing is a different issue
and may, indeed, be a mistake. He has asked the county's GIS
technician to look into it.
         This kind of information makes all of our mapping better. I
will add this to the wiki, but it would be great if this information
were available as a pop-up or some other mechanism while people are mapping.

Charlotte

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California