[Talk-us] Last word on named driveways

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Tue Apr 18 18:59:53 UTC 2017

Hello all,

         After my inquiries about the rash of named driveways in
Campbell County, Virginia--these are driveways that end of with the
name of the street they intersect--I finally got  a reply from the
county GIs director (pasted in below). He says inequivocally that it
is a TIGER issue, not a local one. Probably no surprise. I know
opinions vary on TIGER.
         He also add a couple of data souces, his own county and the
state of Virginia, that could be useful.
         I sent this to TIGER and asked that they update us on any
fixes for this.
Charlotte

Hello,
 From your description, it sounds like you are looking at Census, TIGER
data.  Census adds these names to driveways, using the same name as the
road they come off of.  This is something Census does for their use.
Campbell County does NOT duplicate road names.

Virginia has a statewide road database in which localities provide data
updates.  Campbell County participates in this process.  Statewide
street data can be viewed and/or downloaded from:
http://vgin.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=741d0fb937ee420680eb500250acc4ef

Additionally, County data can be viewed from our County Website at:
http://gis.worldviewsolutions.com/campbell/account/logon

Dale Woods
GIS Program Manager
Campbell County, VA