[Talk-us] Last word on named driveways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Apr 22 08:18:55 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com>
wrote:

>         After my inquiries about the rash of named driveways in Campbell
> County, Virginia--these are driveways that end of with the name of the
> street they intersect--I finally got  a reply from the county GIs director
> (pasted in below). He says inequivocally that it is a TIGER issue, not a
> local one. Probably no surprise. I know opinions vary on TIGER.

That's not a giant surprise.  And it's not so much that opinions on TIGER
vary so much as the quality of TIGER itself is highly variable.  I've seen
places where TIGER was amazing and there wasn't much to do other than add
speed limits and turn lanes.  But Portland, Oregon comes to mind as an area
where it was pretty obvious that they digitized someone's hand-drawn map,
which was drawn on a napkin with a fine-tip ballpoint pen in the rain, and
was like trying to get a cat to cooperate with being rubbed backwards to
sanitize.

>         He also add a couple of data souces, his own county and the state
> of Virginia, that could be useful.
>         I sent this to TIGER and asked that they update us on any fixes
> for this.

Given the inconsistency of TIGER data, I would not be surprised if no
automated effort will be ever attempted to deal with that dataset ever
again.  That said, there are tilesets out there that show TIGER data that
thas a newer name or geometry than what OSM has, though this itself has
it's pitfalls as I've noticed a tendency for such datasets to
false-positive on a name because OklaDOT renamed something and whatever
Census-taker mapped it in TIGER kept the old name.