[Talk-us] Last word on named driveways

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Sat Apr 22 13:28:16 UTC 2017

TL;DR
The U.S. Census Bureau releases of TIGER removed the names from driveways
in or before 2010 and removed the driveways in or before 2016.
For background on fixing TIGER see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup

​Reviewing the TIGER public downloads for 2008, 2010 and 2016 we can see
how that dataset has changed over time in this area.

OSM imported the TIGER 2005 public download.  When you see OSM data that
has  *tiger:* attributes, it is most likely from that import.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER

What follows is a visual review of the issue Charlotte investigated for
Campbell County VA (FIPS 51031)
The data was accessed from
https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2060/EDGES/tl_2016_51031_edges.zip
https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2010/EDGES/tl_2010_51031_edges.zip
https://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2008/51_VIRGINIA/51031_Campbell_County/tl_2008_51031_edges.zip

A sample area was chosen having the named driveway issue in the TIGER 2008
dataset.

First looking at the 2008 version to see what that had for name of
driveways.  (Using the field "FULLNAME" for the labels)
Small lines that serve single residences (driveways) have the name of the
adjacent road. *driveways are named*
[image: Inline image 1]

Next looking at the 2010 version to see what that had for name of
driveways.  (Using the field "FULLNAME" for the labels)
Small lines that serve single residences (driveways) exist but the
"FULLNAME" field is empty. *driveways exists but are no longer named*
[image: Inline image 2]

Next looking at the 2016 version to see what that had for name of
driveways.  (Using the field "FULLNAME" for the labels)
Small lines that serve single residences (driveways) no longer exist.
*unnamed driveways
no longer exist*

*[image: Inline image 3]*

and an aerial photograph to show that the small lines indeed serve single
residences
[image: Inline image 4]

C.