[Talk-us] Best practice in Lane Editing

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Apr 27 06:03:39 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Horea Meleg <horea.meleg at telenav.com>
wrote:

> Hy guys, thanks for your responses.
> Do you think that is better to move motorway_junction where continuous
> line begins? In real life you can't cross a continuous line, so I think it
> should be the same in OSM. What do you think?

Does anybody have objections on me updating that approach with my method?
I tend to start a new lane where the lane taper finishes, start a split at
the start of the theoretical gore (placement=transition on the exit), and
start the ramp centerline at the bullnose.  For solid line situations, the
US is a little weird on this.  A single solid white line is officially a
"discouraged" movement one should make only with extreme caution, whereas
crossing a double-white line is prohibited, as outlined in the MUTCD.  In
either case, I would generally take the conservative approach in this
situation, using something like change:lanes=yes|yes|yes|not_right|no where
that solid line is.