[Talk-us] Phoneix, Arizona open data

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:05:36 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Horea Meleg <horea.meleg at telenav.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Me and my Telenav colleagues, are planning to start editing in Phoenix,
> Arizona. We are thinking of adding some map features like road geometry,
> name, one way or turn restrictions.  We’ve made a research for local data,
> and we’ve found this open source data: https://www.phoenix.gov/opendata#
> <https://www.phoenix.gov/opendata>. The specific datasets are: Street
> center line for City of Phoenix
> <http://mapping-phoenix.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/street-centerline>, Street
> Name Labels
> <http://mapping-phoenix.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/street-name-labels>, Traffic
> Restrictions along Streets
> <http://mapping-phoenix.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/traffic-restrictions-along-streets>
> and Traffic Restrictions at Intersections
> <http://mapping-phoenix.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/traffic-restrictions-at-intersections>
> .
>
> We are wondering if these datasets have already been used/vetted in the
> past?
>
> If someone knows something about it, please inform us.

I don't think that this data will buy you much.  It is just a street center
line without dual carriage information. I think is works better for land
development zoning that OSM data.  I know that the MapBox data team has
already come through and added to lane counts and turn restrictions along
major roads.  I believe other mappers have worked hard on OSM turn
restrictions too Paul Johnson appears to be prolific with the work.  Please
contribute how you can.  Your edits are welcome.

The name labels will not be of much use.  The tiger data was correct in all
the places that I have mapped. Ohh! Ahh! Look at the beautiful Tiger fixup
map.
http://product.itoworld.com/map/162?lon=-112.04146&lat=33.56395&zoom=11 I
am going back through now removing all the tiger tags and rechecking
geometries created with Yahoo. I know Hans has done a great job in many
areas with the Tiger fixup.  Dave Hansen, balrog-kun, iandees  I love you
guys for work you did that I did not have to do.  Tiger was the best import
ever!  balrog-kun's name expansion saved me so many hours of time.
iandees import of geonames saved many many hours of research.  These
automated changes allowed me to work on other issues.  I am an osmer that
thinks that the Tiger import was a good thing!

Adding missing speed limits would be a better effort than attempting to
sorting out the opendata site.  I looked at the site along time ago when it
was launched  but found these two confusing links.  I cannot tell if they
have just relinked the phoenix.gov website terms into the opendata terms.
Is it opendata or closed data?  Perhaps you'd want to send a note to them
to clear up the questionable terms.  The site appears to be more of a sales
pitch than anything with a real substantial opendata contribution.
https://www.phoenix.gov/opendata/terms
https://www.phoenix.gov/opendata/policy

Regards,
Greg