[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Beware Pokemon users

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:34:39 UTC 2017

I have a possible confirmation that PokeGo is using OSM Points of Interest
to populate features, but not of edit vandalism.

We went onto local hiking trails to document some local science history,
taking my daughter along for company and having someone under 50 to keep an
eye on us oldsters. She brought her iPhone and PokeGo of course. (I'd
expected her to be my photographic "2nd shooter", oh well.)  She reported
that our destination included both a PokeGo Gym and a PokeStop.

The PokeStop was at our exact target,  "1899 MIT Observatory site" which is
moderately well known (on the park map, in FourSquare). [1]

But the Gym was a horizontal control benchmark "BLOOM 1934" which is NOT in
published catalogs (USGS, MASSDOT, Geocache.com) of benchmarks. It appears
to be part of the MAGS 1934 survey, does not appear to have elevation
stamped, consistent with other MAGS 1934 disks. Is it not cataloged because
not required in final control mesh?  [2]
(I have added the disk name "BLOOM 1934" to the OSM node today.)

Both were added in a 6 year old trail-improvement changeset based on GPS
hiking track. [3]
(Which was more uptodate than the published park map and was very helpful
for old guys taking the gradual slope trail! )

This six year old OSM "man made/man mad/Survey point" is the only online
reference to this point i've found ... aside from the PokeGo Gym ... for
this disk.

Alas I did not have her take screen-captures to determine if the spelling
of feature names is exactly OSM's.

(There's another point in that change set i need to discuss with
OceanVortex ... will DM on OSM.org ...)

[1]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/944663159#map=19/42.44109/-71.08359&layers=D
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/944663076