[Talk-us] cardinal directions

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Jan 13 21:42:53 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Some of you may remember the discussion we had on tagging cardinal directions in the US, which led to the wiki page[1] describing the current practice.
Basically the convention we arrived on is to tag relation members with role=north/east/south/west to indicate cardinal direction.
This is backed up by usage in the US. About 75% of way members of Interstate road relations have directional role members[2].

The Canadian highway system seems to follow similar conventions, having cardinal directions signposted. (Just picking out one example, [3])

The Telenav mapping team wants to help map cardinal directions in Canada now, and I have a few questions:
1) Is this way of tagging cardinal directions acceptable to the Canadian community as well?
2) For which regions / highways / highway types is it common to refer to the cardinal direction as part of the name?
2) How to deal with (mostly) single carriageways?

Posting to talk-ca and talk-us cc tagging because I think all three groups may have valuable input.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Directions_In_The_United_States <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Directions_In_The_United_States>
[2] See some number crunching here: https://gist.github.com/72a02709cecebfb7fcd563e701f4f064
[3] http://openstreetcam.org/details/8671/13 <http://openstreetcam.org/details/8671/13>