[Talk-us] cardinal directions

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Jan 14 06:40:44 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some of you may remember the discussion we had on tagging cardinal
> directions in the US, which led to the wiki page[1] describing the current
> practice.
> Basically the convention we arrived on is to tag relation members with
> role=north/east/south/west to indicate cardinal direction.
> This is backed up by usage in the US. About 75% of way members of
> Interstate road relations have directional role members[2].

Can we *not* do this?  Can this *not* be a thing?  Can we instead go route
master and only have child *relations* have cardinal roles, with child ways
being exclusively forward/backward?  Because cardinal directions on the
ways themselves is 1) ambiguous AF and 2) breaks validation on a level that
it can take hours to days for experienced editors to manually validate, and
can't be automated as a result.