[Talk-us] Green Mountain National Forest cleanup

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 19:49:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Jason Remillard <remillard.jason at gmail.com>
wrote:

> hstore support, which would allow rendering boundary=protected_area is
> being actively worked on the main style sheet. Its coming...
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1504
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1975

I'm aware of those tickets. There are actually earlier related requests as
well, going back nearly five years. At this point I'm not holding my
breath. I'll be ecstatic if I see it actually happen, but at this point I
don't think I can plan for it.

The nice thing about the 'leisure=nature_reserve' tagging is that
correcting it can be automated easily. The 'boundary=national_park' tag
will require more manual work to reconcile, but is really the only tag we
can use for complex areas like the Adirondack Park or the GMNF without
telling worse lies to the renderer. (And, alas, it conflicts with
boundary=protected_area, so it isn't possible to tag the old and new
schemata simultaneously. boundary=national_park;protected_area will simply
cause more confusion.)