[Talk-us] reporting Pokemon Go related vandalism

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:06:10 UTC 2017

On 26/01/2017 21:58, Will Senechal wrote:
> Monitoring my local area, I see blatantly incorrect edits designed to
> help cheat at Pokemon Go. See
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/harambewarlord/history#map=13/35.5129/-82.5531
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/harambewarlord/history#map=13/35.5129/-82.5531>I've
> added notes about them and commented on the changesets.  I'm a new
> user and am unfamiliar with the changeset reversion methods, should I
> try to fix this, or should someone else do it?

Hi Will,

I'm not in the US, but may be able to help.  You've already commented on
this user's changesets, so thanks for that. Normally I'd try and be
fairly friendly about a first changeset discussion comment, but
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/45478815 et al are so blatant
that a comment of "Pokemon Go vandalism" is understandable.  If you find
users are still continuing to make these sorts of edits after you've
asked them not to, drop a mail to data at osmfoundation.org (OSM's Data
Working Group) so that we can stop them from editing until they've read
a message.  If that doesn't work and they still continue, we can take
further steps.

In this case I'll send them a message that they have to read before
continuing, and will revert these problematical edits.

As to whether you should have a go at reverting them, if you want to you
certainly can.  You know your locally area better than anyone remote and
if there's any tidying up afterwards to do, you're best placed to do
it.  If you want to practice with a revert you can always try the dev
server first http://master.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/ (create a
separate account there).  If you want to revert a whole changeset then
JOSM and the reverter plugin is probably the easiest way to go, but it
helps if you are familiar with the JOSM editor first.  There are more
details on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Change_rollback .

Best Regards,

Andy Townsend, from OSM's Data Working Group.