[Talk-us] reporting Pokemon Go related vandalism

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Jan 27 00:02:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Will Senechal <willsenechal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Monitoring my local area, I see blatantly incorrect edits designed to help
> cheat at Pokemon Go. See https://www.openstreetmap.
> org/user/harambewarlord/history#map=13/35.5129/-82.5531
> I've added notes about them and commented on the changesets.  I'm a new
> user and am unfamiliar with the changeset reversion methods, should I try
> to fix this, or should someone else do it?

Will, +1 on Andy's suggestions.

 Before Pokemon discovered OSM I would welcome a few new mappers a week.
Now it seems like every hour. Overall the quality isn't bad - still not
connecting footways to adj. streets. A few added in non existent parks,
meadows, water and paths, features are not squared, etc. I send every new
mappers in my area a welcome message. Ones that are blatantly bad, I
delete. I still send them a welcome message but requesting that they only
add what they can see along with my list of tips are resources.

Here is the latest article on the issue:
https://mic.com/articles/166654/pokemon-go-hack-altering-openstreetmap-data-may-create-new-spawn-points-in-the-game#.vkxVi6Klm

The jump in new editors is scary. I've been keeping up with new editors but
worry that 1) the bad ones will continue to add garbage, 2) I'm away for a
couple of days creating a backlog for myself and 3) I spend more time on
"editing" than my own projects.

Join us on slack - https://osmus-slack.herokuapp.com/ we've been talking
about it a bit there.

Clifford