[Talk-us] United States Bicycle Route 41 awaits OSM entry!

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 04:18:01 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 3:20 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea <
steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> A brief reminder to any Minnesota (or Upper Midwest) mappers who may be
> inspired to enter some rewarding OSM data:  United States Bicycle Route
> (USBR) 41 is a new national-level bicycle route from Minneapolis to Grand
> Portage and the Canadian border, largely along Lake Superior.  Your
> reward?  You'll get to see USBR 41 "blossom" on OpenCycleMap (Cycle Map
> layer) as a solid red line with "41" badges!
>
> The route is over 300 miles, a relation is now "seeded" at its north and
> south termini.  To enter this route, please see our wiki:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_U.S._Bicycle_Route_System
> and scroll down to USBR 41, clicking on a link to find official AASHTO
> route data, which OSM has explicit permission to enter.  Whether you enter
> a single mile or all 300+, this is the final USBR before the next round at
> AASHTO.  Thank you!

If you see future requests from Steve about the USBR routes, then you might
want to accept one of these as a challenge.  I took on USBR 41 since no one
volunteered. Unlike USBR 90 in Arizona, I cannot run out and check the
route.  I have listed several issues that remain and a discussion with
Steve. Some are new paths that opened in 2017. Since it is summer time I am
wondering if any one can head up to parts of the route in Minnesota were
the issues are located and run some sort of survey: GPS, Mapillary,
OpenStreetCam, or what not.  Feel free to work on the issues.

Regards,
Greg

This link is also in the route relation.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/idtfhretq0urelu/AADNm6RwNePgBHKkKZphkYMja?dl=0
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/idtfhretq0urelu/AADNm6RwNePgBHKkKZphkYMja?dl=0>
 > Missing area.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6708256#map=16/45.
1557/-92.9925&layers=C

Huh, I really don't know what to do here!  I've had it happen where the
state (like the Department of Natural Resources or State Parks) quickly put
in some paved cycleway "in the middle of nowhere" and stitched it in with
the DOT so it got into the route, but Bing is still a long way from
catching up.  Sometimes it can be "guessed" (I've only done that once,
where it was clearly going to be a straight line) but I usually leave in a
gap, as you did here.  We do our best with what we have, though sometimes
despite our honest efforts, it just doesn't add up to 100%.

> There is a new path that I cannot see.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6708256#map=18/45.
51214/-92.97881&layers=C

Yup, sometimes a route's data is newer than existing OSM, Bing
aerial/satellite or other data.

> Gap
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6708256#map=14/46.
7875/-92.0941&layers=C

Ditto.

> The ASHTO turn by turn is different than the route board that you
provided in the relation.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6708256#map=15/46.
7414/-92.1520&layers=C
> https://www.dot.state.mn.us/bike/usbr41/docs/route-board.pdf

Very odd:  I couldn't connect to that host!  It just hung like their 'net
is down.  I'll try this later.

> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6708256#map=12/47.
2008/-91.3462&layers=C

I don't think there is a better method to complete this as you did by
leaving the Gitchi-Gami State Trail in place.  I mean, there are two major
trail crossings (of highway MN 61) in Gooseberry Falls State Park where
Superior Hiking Trail crosses, (and another trail perhaps 50 m south):
which is a better place for USBR 41 to "cross and connect" to Gitchi-Gami?
I don't know.  Again, I think you've "done your best" and nobody can ask
for more than that!

> There is a path described in the turn by turn that I cannot see.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6708256#map=15/47.
9562/-89.6905&layers=C

It may be that a new road/cycleway/path that is not now in OSM needs to be
added.  As neither of us knows that, we can't add it, so we're stuck with
"as best as you might do," once again.

Many and huge thanks for all of your clearly dedication and work on this!
How "done" might we call this?  99%  99.5%?  That seems about right without
the Gitchi Gami but if you exclude that maybe 97% or 98%.