[Talk-us] Erie Canalway Trail

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 05:07:57 UTC 2017

The Erie Canalway Trail is a historic corridor and a major cycling
route that runs near the route of the Erie Canal from Buffalo to
Albany.  https://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal is the web site
describing it, and there's an interactive trail map at
http://www.ptny.org/bike-canal/map/.

Alas, the map is not always correct, at least according to the current
signage. I know this because the trail runs through my neighbourhood.
I've noticed the signs but not yet attempted to add the route to the
map.

Is anyone interested in getting a route relation started with the
correct route?  I see in a number of other places in New York that the
trail is indicated by the name of a way, but the ways are not linked
into a coherent route.

I'm not a cyclist, but I'll happily sign up to field-check the signage
near me - I live only a city block or so from the marked trail.
(Caveat: I may need someone else to make sense of what the trail map
is trying to tell me for the stretch from Cohoes to Watervliet. It
seems to be a bit of a maze there.)

It could be that the route through my immediate neighbourhood is a
detour to avoid a couple of very steep hills on the route on the web
site. I can check in the next few days where the routes rejoin, and
whether both are signed.