[Talk-us] Tiger Zip Data Removal Project (Update)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jul 9 10:02:59 UTC 2017

Hans,

On 07/08/2017 10:37 PM, Hans De Kryger wrote:
> So last month i started a discussion about a project i took on removing
> Tiger zip data across the U.S. I brought it to the community after i
> received concern from quite a few mappers in the U.S.

I notice that at least two people who have negatively commented on your
recent edits in changeset comments - Max Erickson and Steve A - are
regulars on this mailing list, but they didn't get involved when you
discussed the issue here four weeks ago. A reason for this might be that
your thread title at the time was:

"Need advice on a project I've taken on"

and not

"Tiger ZIP removeal across the whole US"

which might have attracted more eyeballs at the time!

I also notice that, in the discussion at the time, you received a number
of comments, like

* observe guidelines for mechanical edits (since downloading stuff with
overpass and removing a tag without actually looking at the object you
are editing *is* a mechanical edit)

* use a separate account for the activity

* use a changeset comment that clearly states it's an automated edit to
remove obsolete tags

- none of which you seem to have heeded. At least one person here asked
why the data was being removed, and you tersely replied "The usefulness
is nonexistent" - which may be totally correct, but this exchange could
have demonstrated to you that more explanation is necessary.

Now I don't know what kind of abuse you received in personal email and I
am not condoning any of that, but I don't think you did your best for a
successful project. Next time, discuss it under a meaningful headline
ahead of making the first edits; set up a wiki page explaining why you
think the tags are useless; then proceed using good changeset comments
that point to the wiki page for explanation. For bonus points, make an
estimate before you start about how many objects will be touched and
explain how you plan to execute the edit.

Perhaps Steve A would like to explain what problems he saw with your
edit in http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/49381249 ?

Bye
Frederik