[Talk-us] Differences with USA admin_level tagging

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:40:27 UTC 2017

On the "Gores" point: In Vermont, while these do not have any
administrative infrastructure and are managed by the State, they *are*
surveyed and named places with defined borders (shared with their
surrounding Towns). As such it likely makes sense to preserve them as
multipolygons each with their own name and detail tags. Since these areas
are exclusive of Town/City areas, it might make sense to give them the same
admin_level even though the mechanisms of administration are different.
They aren't States themselves, so a border=administrative,admin_level=4
smells wrong. I can't speak to the situation in Maine.