[Talk-us] Differences with USA admin_level tagging

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jul 11 19:53:57 UTC 2017

On 7/11/17 2:46 PM, Kerry Irons wrote:
> If all of you want to have some fun with jurisdictional boundaries, take a look at College Corner, OH/IN.  It is a village purposefully straddling the OH/IN state lines with the main street being the state line.  It has two zip codes, is in three counties (two in OH, one in IN) and school district issues to match.  It puts paid to a lot of ideas we all have about jurisdictional hierarchies and boundaries.  Delmar in Delaware/Maryland has similar, though not quite as complicated issues.  I'm sure there are other examples
i think Kenny oversimplified the NY situation. where i live in New York,
i reside in the Town of Sand Lake. my mail is delivered out of the
Averill Park
post office. my daughter went to school in the Averill Park School District.
but none of these entities (the town, postal delivery area and school
district)
even remotely share boundaries,  nor do the postal delivery area and school
district actually share a boundary with each other or the hamlet of
Averill Park.

we can have other kinds of boundaries besides administrative ones, but right
now everybody is trying to jam everything into the admin_level system. i
think
we're approaching it the wrong way.

why not

boundary=fire_district
boundary=school_district

and break a couple of these things out. as for adminstrative boundaries and
admin_level, we're just going to have to go state by state, and in NY at
least,
recognize that NYC is a very different creature from the rest of the state.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search