[Talk-us] Tiger Zip Data Removal Project (Update)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Jul 16 20:09:53 UTC 2017

Kevin Kenny wrote:
> Fair enough. I will confess that I'm a little lackadaisical about
> tagging the surface on hard-surfaced roads. It appears that
> some sort of hard surface is more or less assumed by default.
> I do tag 'gravel', 'compacted', 'shale', 'sand', 'ground'
> assiduously, and usually add some sort of assessment of
> 'smoothness' on those.

In that case you are absolutely on the side of the angels.

Yes, if you clear the tiger:reviewed tag after reviewing that a residential
(or unclassified, or tertiary, or greater) road genuinely does have a paved
surface, that's AOK in my book - that's the assumed default for those
highway values in developed countries. I generally wouldn't add
surface=paved in such cases either.

cheers
Richard