[Talk-us] USA's TIGER data include rail, too

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sat Jun 10 22:37:01 UTC 2017

I know this might seem disconnected from threads regarding TIGER from a week ago, but I do wish to remind my fellow dear readers of talk-us that the 2008 TIGER import also include(d) rail data, including tens of thousands of railway=rail ways.

While these have slowly-and-surely improved, especially since the late-2014 "Rail Westerly" and "Rail USA" threads here, with the introduction of WikiProjects https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States_railways, https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Amtrak, and the various state projects, (e.g. https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/California/Railroads), it is true that OSM has substantially improved these.  However, we still have quite a ways to go.  Should either TIGER cleanup or rail data cleanup in the USA interest or beckon you, I (once again) invite you to "fall down the rabbit hole" of the first wiki noted above and perhaps even start a statewide effort in YOUR state:  the USA has five (Alaska, California, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico) statewide rail WikiProjects underway now, so only 45 to go!

SteveA
California