[Talk-us] NJ mass road demotions?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 13 14:49:57 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
wrote:

> Kevin Kenny wrote:
> > Is there *anyone* that actually can speak to what *is* common
> > practice in the US? When I've asked, I've always drawn a lot of
> > replies and come away more confused than before.
>
> I've been doing vast amounts of rural TIGER fixup over the past couple of
> years and this is what broadly seems to be what I've seen, bearing in mind
> standard practice in other developed countries and the idea that the
> highway= tag combines the importance in the highway network with some
> assurance of construction quality:
>
> * highway=motorway: interstate or other long-distance restricted-access
> road
> * highway=trunk: fast, busy State Highway or US Highway, often NHS/STRAHNET

 I only saw this since NE2 had mass-upgraded everything in the US highway
system to trunk nationwide.  Typically, trunk in the US has been meant to
mean an expressway, ie, basically a freeway, but it might have
intersections (the midwest is full of these, Tesla's first autopilot crash
happened on such an expressway).  Or it might be fully controlled, but only
a single carriageway (Cimarron Turnpike).  Or it's dual carriageway, but
only one lane on a carriageway (thankfully, this is rare, the only one I
remember driving on appears to be 2+2 now).  Odd beasts that are more
controlled than a primary, yet, not a freeway.