[Talk-us] Key:man_made... Outdated language?

Joshua Houston joshuahouston at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 21:27:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

It occurred to me that "man_made" is an outdated term that should be phased
out from OpenStreetMap language. The philosophy of OpenStreetMap is very
inclusive and that should be represented even in the way data is tagged.
I'd like to propose to change the key from "man_made" to "human_made" and
start a discussion on it. Many parts of society are trying to implement a
more inclusive language, NASA for instance has changed "manned missions" to
"crewed missions". I think it is an important goal to make OSM inclusive
whenever there is a choice.

Thanks!

Joshua Houston