[Talk-us] Key:man_made... Outdated language?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 02:10:59 UTC 2017

Inadvertently sent this as a private reply when I meant to send it to the
list:

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You bring up a good point of course. It sticks out to me too. I am not
>> sure what a good alternative is though. human_made is not to bad.
>>
> Looking through taginfo for man_made, it strikes me that structure could
> easily substitute for man_made, at least until you get to beehive. Since
> beehive's key is man_made, I assume it's not talking about a
> nature=beehive. Structure is already being used as a key so it would mean
> depreciating man_made in favor of structure.

I rather like 'structure'. It's struck me as rather peculiar to tag a
beaver dam as 'man made.' Not just sexism, but 'species-ism' as well! As a
geographic feature,  the thing was little different from any other dam,
impounding some hundreds of hectares.