[Talk-us] Is this a bad import or an experiment?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Wed Mar 22 14:27:39 UTC 2017

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 4:59 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mar 22, 2017 7:49 AM, "Paul Johnson" <baloo at ursamundi.org <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com <mailto:eric.ladner at gmail.com>> wrote:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/33.74152/-116.29677 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/33.74152/-116.29677>
>
> So much wrongness..  I don't even know where to start in describing it.
>
>  This really "feels" like a botched import that has the potential to become something actually good.  I've reached out.  http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/38292137 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/38292137>
>
> I noticed this yesterday when working on broken relations... It doesn't look like an import (mostly because they used iD and the digitization looks like hand drawn iD) but the tagging doesn't look right. I'd say it's a mapping project (they called it a "draw party") with good intentions but that might need some tagging cleanup.

At least the stuff I first notice looking at that in JOSM (highway=* drawn as polygons without an area tag and also including a landuse=residential) are from single commits from a mapper that was active for several months a few years ago. Change set claims source is Bing. Sounds like a well meaning but flawed contribution by a new mapper who has now moved on from OSM.