[Talk-us] Is this a bad import or an experiment?

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 14:27:02 UTC 2017

I think Ian is correct.  Looks like a mapping party.

I tracked back some of the editors and found other places around the
country (but mostly near LA) where residential areas were mapped with
excruciating detail, but sloppy drawing, bad tagging, etc. (see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/34.16030/-117.41155 or
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/34.16718/-117.47586 as examples)

It needs more than tagging cleanup, IMO.  Drawing a 30 foot long driveway
as a closed "highway=service" that's not even connected to the main road is
just bad.  ~40,000 nodes in that one area for something that is close to
useless.  It looks pretty on the map, but it's really adding nothing to the
map intelligence wise (can't be used for routing, points out something
that's painfully obvious).  And the houses in one area (second link above),
everything in the yard was mapped EXCEPT the house, and in the houses'
case, it looks like they mapped something in the back yard or front yard
and tagged it as a building.

It's a shame because it's a lot of work by some people that are mapping in
a vacuum.  Their time would have been better spent by adding address nodes
and learning how to draw building footprints correctly.