[Talk-us] Is this a bad import or an experiment?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Mar 23 00:55:43 UTC 2017

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>> I map driveway when the house is set a distance from the main road, often
>> time when the house can't be seen from the road. Mainly rural areas. I
>> figure that it might help volunteer fire and rescue operations.
>

> In many rural areas, such drives are now required to be Named Private
> Ways with appropriate signage, for just such assistance. (County-wide
> consolidated E-911 dispatch is driving this in e.g. Maine.)

I guess that means if I visit someone in Maine that my search for an address may end up with many thousand of matches on “Private Way”.

Sounds like they have lousy official maps that omit things like driveways and are pushing the problem off on individual property owners. It would make more sense to me to have the driveway labeled with the housenumber(s) and street name for the official address(es) found on the driveway. If I were driving an ambulance or fire engine that would help me more than having a multitude of “Private Way” signs, none of which were obviously the “123 I Need Help Now Road” my unit was dispatched to. Oh well, bureaucratic decisions don’t always make sense.

Cheers!