[Talk-us] Is this a bad import or an experiment?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Mar 23 11:12:09 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
> wrote:
> > I map driveway when the house is set a distance from the main road, often
> > time when the house can't be seen from the road. Mainly rural areas. I
> > figure that it might help volunteer fire and rescue operations.
>

> In many rural areas, such drives are now required to be Named Private
> Ways with appropriate signage, for just such assistance. (County-wide
> consolidated E-911 dispatch is driving this in e.g. Maine.)

Seems to vary quite a bit by area; I'm surprised to hear about Maine on
that.  Previously the only place I knew of with this practice was select
neighborhoods in El Paso County, Colorado
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1411335>.  Mostly because I kept
coming across named private ways that were named by people who were
apparently resentful of the practice, with the topper being A Dog Will Lick
His Butt But Won't Eat A Pickle Road
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388029001>.  The more common practice
I've seen is to address number away from the nearest town and post the
address number at the end of the driveway on a name sign blank.  This can
get fairly laughable in remote regions, I've seen house numbers approach 7
figures as a result.