[Talk-us] Is this a bad import or an experiment?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Mar 23 10:51:19 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I can clean it up (manually), if everybody agrees.
>>   * remove small polygonal driveways
>>   * convert larger polygonal highways to actual highways where appropriate
>>

> Are small driveways offensive, or is it just the polygonal ones that don't
> connect to anything?
> I agree that this mapping party rather left a mess.

It's the polygonal ones that don't go anywhere.  A simple centerline tagged
as follows would have sufficed.

highway=service
service=driveway
access=private

> I'm asking because I've been mapping driveways along with building
> outlines in my own neighbourhood - partly to get correct street directions
> when the driveway to a house is on a different street from the one the
> house faces and the mailbox is on. I'll be glad to take the driveways out
> again if they're expected to cause trouble somewhere.

I do this, too, partly because it handles the edge case of how do you enter
the property on extremely small and ambiguous lots (my mother's place has
more frontage on the street facing her back fence than the street the
address is on) and extremely large lots (the bane of my last job, where the
house I was trying to get to might not even be in the same section
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_(United_States_land_surveying)> as
the start of the driveway if the section line
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_line> doesn't have a road on it or
is cut by a body of water or steep terrain).  Or in a more urban context,
parking facilities are often arranged maze-like to prevent rat-runs...