[Talk-us] Is this a bad import or an experiment?

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Thu Mar 23 19:36:55 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 06:12:09 -0500
Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Clifford Snow
> > <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> > > I map driveway when the house is set a distance from the main
> > > road, often time when the house can't be seen from the road.
> > > Mainly rural areas. I figure that it might help volunteer fire
> > > and rescue operations.
> >

> > In many rural areas, such drives are now required to be Named
> > Private Ways with appropriate signage, for just such assistance.
> > (County-wide consolidated E-911 dispatch is driving this in e.g.
> > Maine.)
>
> Seems to vary quite a bit by area; I'm surprised to hear about Maine
> on that.  Previously the only place I knew of with this practice was
> select neighborhoods in El Paso County, Colorado
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1411335>.  Mostly because I
> kept coming across named private ways that were named by people who
> were apparently resentful of the practice, with the topper being A
> Dog Will Lick His Butt But Won't Eat A Pickle Road
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388029001>.  The more common
> practice I've seen is to address number away from the nearest town
> and post the address number at the end of the driveway on a name sign
> blank.  This can get fairly laughable in remote regions, I've seen
> house numbers approach 7 figures as a result.

Local practice (Spokane County and most nearby counties in eastern
Washington) is that a private drive should be given a name if it serves
at least three houses, or if it would otherwise be beneficial for
emergency services for it to have a name. Other drives merely take the
house number, as determined by the county's address grid.

--
Mark