[Talk-us] greenways tagging

Spencer Gardner spencergardner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:33:40 UTC 2017

I agree that OSM tags related to bicycle infrastructure could be expanded.
However, I'm not convinced many of the situations raised in this discussion
can't already be addressed by existing tags (e.g. vehicle=no for a street
with no vehicular access).

Bike boulevards are especially tricky, since their design and
implementation can vary significantly. It would seem more appropriate to
treat them as a relation, since it's effectively a branded corridor which
may or may not have any special engineering treatments. Madison, WI, for
example, has several bike boulevards that are regular streets with
virtually no special design but they have blue signs with a bicycle symbol.
Some (myself included) would argue that these are no more or less useful to
a bicyclist than a regular residential street, so giving them special
treatment in OSM would seem misleading. Better to tag the actual design
features (crossing islands, access restrictions) than to rely on a vague
concept.