[Talk-us] Help needed, Babcock Ranch near Fort Myers, FL

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Mon May 15 13:11:04 UTC 2017

On 5/15/2017 7:37 AM, Eric Ladner wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 2:59 AM Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org
> <mailto:frederik at remote.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>

>     Maybe someone in the area fancies a fact-finding mission ;)
>

> Some of it actually shows up in the Charlotte county GIS system[1]
> (the stuff south of Lake Timber), and constructiononthe round-a-bout
> is visible on other *cough*Google[2]*cough* satellite imagery (just
> below Lake Babcock).  Construction on the now deleted roads to the
> left of Lake Babcock is also visible (as of Feb imagery).
>
> Most likely it's not vandalism or somebody using OSM for urban fantasy
> but some very early county GIS or planning data that was uploaded.  It
> likely should have been tagged at least as "proposed," though.  Some
> of it is at least a solid "construction" now.
>
> The imagery availble in JOSM via Bing looks pixel-for-pixel identical
> to imagery available elsewhere from 2010.
>
> [1] http://agis.charlottecountyfl.gov/ccgis/
> [2]
> https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7872318,-81.7380132,2180m/data=!3m1!1e3
> <https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7872318,-81.7380132,2180m/data=%213m1%211e3>
>
>     Bye
>     Frederik
>

> Eric

This area is being actively developed and is basically a new town, so
there is and will be a lot of new construction that is seeming popping
out of nowhere. The mapper probably put in a mix of built, under
construction and proposed roads. When built out, it will cover 18,000
acres with an estimated population of 50,000 by 2050 [1].

The new Digital Globe Standard imagery shows some of the new
development. I haven't take a look yet, but the latest Sentinel 2
satellite imagery may provide a clear enough look as well for major road
construction and land clearing. Its being made available pretty quickly
these days - last clear image of that area is 5/9/2017. [2]

Also the mapper in question is a very active and detail oriented mapper
focusing on the Fort Myers area.

[1]
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20170102/babcock-ranch-with-model-homes-soon-to-open-will-have-big-impact-on-charlotte-county
[2] https://remotepixel.ca/projects/satellitesearch.html