[Talk-us] Trunk

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Oct 6 00:48:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> To my mind these are highway=primary mainly because of at-grade
> intersections.. I am still confused about what makes a trunk road in the
> US. To my mind it's roads with no at-grade intersections but not built to
> interstate standards / not having an interstate designation... I'm not
> looking to open up a can of worms but I would really like to understand.

A motorway would be two or more carriageways, limited access (ie, no
driveways and no at-grade intersections).

A trunk road would either be a dual carriageway with surface intersections
with cross streets, and limited or no direct driveway access (eg, OK 3 in
Oklahoma County, aka Northwest Expressway).  Alternatively, a single
carriageway that is limited access, ie, no intersections, no driveways,
only ramps (eg, Chickasaw Turnpike in Oklahoma).  Essentially, almost a
motorway but not quite there.