[Talk-us] Trunk

Richie Kennedy richiekennedy56 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 03:05:57 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> To my mind these are highway=primary mainly because of at-grade intersections..
> I am still confused about what makes a trunk road in the US. To my mind it's roads with
> no at-grade intersections but not built to interstate standards / not having an interstate
> designation... I'm not looking to open up a can of worms but I would really like to understand.

If that were the case, then we'd have lots of partially controlled
access routes (i.e. no driveways, but at-grade intersections) to
change to "primary." IMHO, routes with partial control of access
should be classified as "trunk" and any highway with fully controlled
access (all cross roads are grade separated) should be classified as
"motorway," including those routes that are not quite to interstate
standards.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> Alternatively, a single
> carriageway that is limited access, ie, no intersections, no driveways, only
> ramps (eg, Chickasaw Turnpike in Oklahoma).  Essentially, almost a motorway
> but not quite there.

I *strongly* dispute Paul's assertion that a highway that has fully
controlled  access but is single carriageway should be "trunk" instead
of "motorway." Access control, not number of lanes, should be the
primary guidance behind a motorway or trunk classification.