[Talk-us] Allegheny County, PA: Building Footprints import

GeoKitten geokittenosm at protonmail.com
Tue Oct 10 23:38:20 UTC 2017

I would like to propose an import of buildings in Allegheny County from
the county's open data. I'm contacting everyone because the import guidelines
require all imports to be discussed within the local community. Since neither
Pittsburgh nor Pennsylvania has much of a community where we can discuss these
issues, I put this on the US list.

The wiki page is here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Allegheny_County_Building_Import
In summary, I wish to import around 500,000 buildings in Allegheny County.
The data is good quality and I've confirmed that we're allowed to use it. I
already have a plan on how to import it: I will ask for an account on the OSM
US Tasking Manager and put it there, where the community will be free to
help add the buildings on chunk at a time. I am styling my import after some
previous imports of Microsoft building data in the South (link:
http://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/122 ). I'm personally interested in this
project so I plan on contributing to the actual import.

Is this import a good idea? If you have any concerns, suggestions,
or improvements, I am eager to hear them. I'm a mapper local to this area but
this is the first import I've tried to conduct.