[Talk-us] Texas - redacted roads.

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Thu Oct 12 22:38:15 UTC 2017

On 2017.10.13. 01:15, Nick Hocking wrote:
> Nathan wrote
> "Best to stay well on the correct side of the line "**//___^
> **//___^
> Ok - point taken.

yes, google so far has not flat out denied permission, but their terms
of service would make data not usable in some countries.
it's safer to do a bit of an extra effort now to avoid data removal later.

> Did I mention that at the location I posted (using OSM) the CAPCOG
> website (roads dataset)
>
> http://regional-open-data-capcog.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/roads-2015
>
> has the road listed as REED WILL and with a type of DR.  I've been told
> that this is an acceptable source or road names,

it might be, cannot comment

> Maybe somebody could drive past this road and report back what the
> actual street signs do say. If they do say "Reed Will" then I will try
> to contact the Austin authorities to clarify the situation.

they could also consider taking mapillary and/or osv images - if we had
them, this would be easily resolved ;)

as far as i know, austin has published quite a lot of data and is fairly
open. it might be possible to reach somebody there who would appreciate
feedback. definitely worth trying.
--
 Rihards