[Talk-us] Trunk

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 23:50:36 UTC 2017

>I don't think "important connecting role in the long distance road
>network" should have anything to do with it.   A regular US highway that
>is not divided, grade-separated, mostly limited access is still a key
>interconnecting road, and it's squarely "primary".  Most of US 20 is
>like this, as I understand it, and all or almost all of the parts I've
>driven on (MA, WY) are like that.

I don't really have a stake in the outcome of this discussion but wish to
again point out that Alaska is a state where "trunk" has been used to
designate highways that are ordinarily classified as primary but because
they are in a state with so few roads and in which they are the "only"
connectors between towns, have been tagged trunk highways. They are
high-speed, 65 mph in most cases, or I should say, in most sections, but
have driveways, intersections, and when passing through towns, lower speed
limits, traffic signals, etc.

Just an observation on an edge case that is moderately important in our
immense and 99% rural state.

Best,
AlaskaDave

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> writes:
>
> > In the mean time, I decided to test some of the ideas posted here on a
> real
> > case: The part of Michigan SR 10 northwest of the I-696 interchange:
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/252973#map=13/42.5132/-83.3168
> >
> > Since 1) this road does not seem to serve an important connecting role in
> > the long distance road network 2) the density of abutters and related
> > driveway / parking exits I judged a downgrade warranted. Please discuss
> > here or on https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/52903464 .
>
> If there are enough abutters and driveways (and use of them) that people
> driving on the road cannot basically act as if there are none, then it
> fails as trunk, so from your description, that sounds good.
>
> I don't think "important connecting role in the long distance road
> network" should have anything to do with it.   A regular US highway that
> is not divided, grade-separated, mostly limited access is still a key
> interconnecting road, and it's squarely "primary".  Most of US 20 is
> like this, as I understand it, and all or almost all of the parts I've
> driven on (MA, WY) are like that.
>
> > On the topic of tagging for the renderer, two things: 1) A US-specific
> > rendering would be really neat 2) Trunk 'appendices' like the one I
> > just downgraded do make rendering at low zooms tricky -- you end up
> > with short segments that seem to end in nothing.
>
> On point 2: Because the evolved rough consensus is about trunk being
> something that would have qualified for primary that also has superior
> physical characteristics, there is no reason to expect that displaying
> trunk but not primary will result in a connected network or a coherent
> map.  Displaying motorway but not trunk will likewise not be connected;
> e.g. parts of MA 2 are trunk and part are motorway (and in Boston and
> Western MA, merely primary).  The signed route is continuous and part of
> the network, but if you start at Alewife you are on motorway (4 lanes
> and traffic moves at 80+ mph) and eventually you get to Erving where
> it's 1 lane each way, double yellow line, and posted 30, having dropped
> to trunk and then had another motorway section.  But it is certainly a long
> distance important route, and if you only render 2 EW routes in MA, it's
> the second one to show after I-90.
>
> My point then, is that choosing to render trunk but not primary is not
> really a thing to do what preserves a sense of networks.  We absolutely
> should not thing about how to use motorway/trunk/primary to make maps
> rendered that way look good.
>
> People may want to render based on ref tag, or some other "how important
> is this route" tag, which could be some combination of how long the road
> is and how far away the next road that goes roughly those places but is
> faster is.  Others have talked about dropping some Interstate sections
> (esp odd 3 digits) at small scales.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand