[Talk-us] Trunk

Bradley White theangrytomato at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 03:19:50 UTC 2017

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 21:24:20 -0500
> From: Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
> To: OpenStreetMap talk-us list <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Trunk
>
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Bradley White <theangrytomato at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I reject this because it will lead to an overemphasis of relatively smaller
> roads.

I disagree, and would be more inclined to say that this is exactly
what we need. The US has loads of primaries, and fairly so, but this
tends to bury the more important among those.

Even if there is a strict, verifiable criteria set for what
constitutes an expressway, I don't think it's what we should use to
determine the importance of a road, and thus use of the trunk tag. I
don't think it's a term that, in the US, has meaning to the average
non-highway-engineer citizen in the same way that a freeway does.
Other countries that lack a clear expressway system, like Canada and
the UK, use the trunk tag (successfully) in the same way that I am
suggesting the U.S. use it. The UK/Canada system and the central
Europe system both adopt the tag in a way that makes sense for the
road network they have. We are trying to shoehorn the central European
tagging system into our country when, to me, it makes more sense to
use the UK/Canada system. Why does it benefit map users in the US to
set the second most important class of roads equivalent to roads that
are physically an expressway, especially when this could easily be
tagged separately?