[Talk-us] Trunk

Evin Fairchild evindfair at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 23:08:45 UTC 2017

On Oct 14, 2017 2:04 PM, "Wolfgang Zenker" <wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org>
wrote:

Hi,

it looks to me that this discussion is going in circles, not forward
at the moment. IMHO it does not make a lot of sense to argue what might
be the true meaning of "trunk". Instead, we should concentrate on what
it should mean, document this meaning if we can agree on one and don't
worry to much about what other maps or different parts of the world
think a "trunk" is.

Yeah, the whole reason why this discussion hasn't resulted in a consensus
for 7+ years is because people have dug in their heels so much and said
"trunk roads can only be divided highways, no its, ands, or buts." I
support what is written on the wiki that says that it is the second most
important road after motorway. I haven't seen a single compelling reason to
believe that trunk should only apply to divided highways. You can still
tell whether a trunk is divided at low zooms based on how thick the line is.

The definition of "trunk" that I have used so far: A highway that is of
the same network importance as a primary, but specifically constructed
for fast traffic.

Wolfgang

I like this definition. There are quite a few two lane roads that are built
for speed, but may still have some at grade intersections.

-Evin (compdude)