[Talk-us] Trunk

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Sun Oct 15 15:03:39 UTC 2017

In the US, we've always treated primary/secondary/tertiary as a way to tag importance to the road network, while physical construction was secondary. Motorway, of course, was and still is treated differently. Trunk has always been stuck in the middle between people who like me and Paul want to use it more like motorway but for divided highways and people who want it to mean more primary than primary.

That's why we're still taking about it now, long after the usage of other highway tag values has long been settled. The closest thing to a decision that was ever made was NE2's unilateral mass edit, some of which has been reverted, some of which hasn't. Without consensus that the tagging is wrong and not just the unilateral decision, I'm not going to go out of my way to revert his trunk changes on ways I'm not otherwise editing large portions of. It's not a nice thing to do. It's got nothing to do with thinking that things should be that way and everything to do with not being a jackass who unilaterally imposes their will on the whole community.

-Nathan