[Talk-us] Low-quality NHD imports

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Oct 16 23:34:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org>
wrote:

> the problem here is that at least those NHD imports I have seen in
> Montana have only some of the existing streams. I don't know if this is
> because NHD does not have more or because the import used not all
> available streams. "Existing streams" here means both streams seen on
> USGS Topo maps and stream beds seen on imagery.

Wolfgang,
Not sure how the NHD data for Montana got into OSM. In my own county in
Washington, it's far from complete, at least compared to NHD data. I've
been slowly adding them by tracing in streams from current, and much better
resolution NHD data and aerial imagery. My county is relatively small,
especially to Montana. It usually takes me two or three days to drive from
west to east. I can be out of my county in 3 hours. Of course in Montana,
it's mostly the foothills and mountain ranges that have the bulk of the
steams to edit.

Maybe we can get someone to host NHD data for others to trace in. If anyone
is reading this and is willing to host the data, I'm willing to help with
the design and conversions.

BTW - I lived in Montana for a number of years and will be back there after
the State of the Map US conference to do some hiking and sightseeing. I
remember fishing in the Bitterroot. Nothing like fresh caught trout. It's
one of the nicest states to visit. (Winters can be miserable.)

Clifford
--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us