[Talk-us] Low-quality NHD imports

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Oct 16 22:21:38 UTC 2017

Echoing (+1-ing) what Charlotte (and Clifford) said:  waterway=creek on a downward-flowing way (and an intermittent=yes tag, if true) are extensively used and helpful, certainly where I am.  While hiking, they are relatively unambiguous wayfinding attributes, especially when/as they are numbered/sequenced in an order and/or you are keeping count of them between here and there.  This is a simple method to aid navigation:   name= tags of "Creek 1" through "Creek 9" (up to n, depending) along a directed path (intersection of path and creek) does not seem a terrible faux pas to me.  Of course, if the creeks are truly named, use those values in name= tags instead.

I repeat an important aspect of "stream tagging:"  please assure the way's direction "points downstream."  It truly helps to get this correct!  Also, where a confluence occurs (two waterway ways join), assure the ways connect with a node, this makes a more correct waterway network.

I welcome any or all of these as MapRoulette waterway improvement challenges!

SteveA
California