[Talk-us] Open survey on participation biases in OSM

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 09:53:48 UTC 2017

We are ,mostly, volunteers.  Therefore I think we should map whatever takes
our fancy and should not feel obliged to spend our time/money on mapping
that we do not want to do willingly.

If the location based service providers find that certain info is missing
that they would like to have then maybe they could pay someone to collect
the data, or even better, do it themselves.

If you can convince mappers to alter their mapping habits, well and good,
but trying to shame or threaten them into doing so will just destroy
whatever community there is.

Your statement (highly paraphrased) of "If you don't map what I want you to
map, then nobody is going to want to use your data" may not be the best way
to win people over to your cause.