[Talk-us] Open survey on participation biases in OSM

Kristin Rollins gis at kristin.verumsolum.com
Tue Sep 5 18:58:47 UTC 2017

The very notion that studying who participates in OSM is divisive is
preposterous.

The very notion that there would be nothing to learn if a project where
"everyone has a chance to contribute if they want to" had a 99% to 1%
gender imbalance is absolutely ridiculous. If there are groups of people
who have a chance to contribute but choose not to participate, the
reasons for that are absolutely worth studying. Are there ways that OSM
could change to encourage more people to participate? Are there ways
that OSM could change how it works in a way that would produce a better
product? Or a more welcoming experience for people who aren't like you?

I also find the idea that learning more about ANYTHING is divisive to be
offensive. I find it difficult to find any legitimate reason for the
vehemence of your responses on this topic.

And, to be frank, if the price of my participation is putting up with
anti-knowledge and faux-egalitarian BS, then I suspect I will be another
woman walking out the door of OSM.

Kristin

--
  Kristin Rollins