[Talk-us] guidelines regarding roads access

Ionut Radu - (p) ionutr2 at telenav.com
Thu Sep 14 07:23:44 UTC 2017

I'm posting this response on behalf of David Wisbey:

"I have been a volunteer mapper for about 6 years
and have developed a way of mapping the various
different kinds of residential streets/roads.

I limit the use of "residential" to typical residential city or town government-maintained streets.

I use "living street" for residential streets that are completely open to the public but not maintained
by the local or state government; they must have a street name as well.

I use "service road" (with no service road type added) for the main ways through and around
a development (mobile home park, apartment complex, condominium or townhome cluster, etc)
that do not have names of their own. If they do have have names, I map those that have the names
as "living street".

Any street that must be accessed by a gate (manned or unmanned, doesn't matter) I add access = private.

Some places have "decorative" gates that don't really function as security measures as they are always
open. If there is a sign that says "private" road at the so-called "gate" then I would set access = permissive.

I have done some editing in the past in the Phoenix area, but to see more of my work (in relation to others'
work) you might want to look at Yuma, Arizona. I did not completely "finish" the whole area, and plan to
return to Yuma at some time in the future.

(PS - If you could post this to the thread you started on OSM-US that would be nice. I can't seem to get it
to do that for me.)

(PPS - I am also open to doing paid work, mainly in Colorado, especially Denver.)

David Wisbey
"Your Village Maps"