[Talk-us] dubious church node

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 03:04:06 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Ed Hillsman <hillsman at pobox.com> wrote:

> In my mapping in Albuquerque, I have come across a number of GNIS nodes
> tagged as churches or schools, in built-up areas, that I am unable to find
> on the ground anywhere near the coordinates. I’ve researched a few of them
> and found that they did exist at one time or another but have been
> demolished or incorporated into newer facilities. So I’ve added a note to
> these that they are “historic” but that I can’t pin down their location.
> Otherwise, I’ve left them alone, figuring someone with more knowledge of
> local history can figure out where they were located.

No knowledge of local history needed. If something isn't there on the
ground any more, then it shouldn't be on the map.

I feel free to delete GNIS stuff for features that no longer exist. There
are cases where I've instead done things like

building=detatched historic:amenity=school

for an old schoolhouse converted to a private home.

Another point is that if you have the outline for something that GNIS shows
as a node, please conflate! I've done that with a lot of buildings and
parks locally - just copy-and-paste the GNIS tags from the node to the
polygon and then delete the node.