[Talk-us] dubious church node

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 08:11:06 UTC 2017

"Second, many entries have their coordinates specified using the old NAD
27 datum, but somewhere along the line, that fact was lost and the
coordinates were assumed to be in either NAD 83 or WGS 84.  This
results in an offset that increases the further you go from central
Indiana; the offset in Alaska is upwards of a hundred meters to the

west."

Wow, thanks for that. If I understand what you're saying, this means many
of the old GNIS nodes will be positioned about 100 meters east of where
they should be? Or do I have your statement turned around?

The mine whose position I last adjusted, the Case Mine in the Chugach
Mountains on the Kenai Peninsula, was quite a distance from an area of bare
ground (visible only in ESRI) where an old mine site might have been. The
original position was to the east of that bare area. I didn't measure the
distance but will do that next time I come across such a mine.  The bare
spot also happens to be where the USGS Topo places the mine, consequently,
I felt moving it was justified.

I'm also guessing that the other Case Mine node,  the"duplicate" I
mentioned earlier, represents perhaps a second mine_entrance on the same
mining claim. However, there is nothing west of that node to provide any
clue to guide a repositioning, nor does it appear on theUSGS Topo map, so I
left it where it was.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand