[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Undiscussed mass-revert by user Nakaner-repair

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Apr 20 17:19:45 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> On Friday 20 April 2018, Ian Dees wrote:
> >
> > I'd be interested in seeing all of these reverts reverted (at least
> > in the US) until discussion can take place.
>
> I don't know about these changes or the reverts of them in detail but on
> a general note here:  If mappers find edits they consider
> questionable - either factually or methodologically - and attempts to
> get in contact with the mapper making those edits fail it is commonly
> accepted practice that mappers can revert such changes.  This happens
> every day many times all over the world and is a good way to reduce the
> workload of the DWG by not getting them involved in all the small
> matters mappers can resolve between each other.

Nakaner post a changeset comment which impart said:

you seem to be part of a paid/organized/commercial editing activity. We
have been telling your workmates for more than one week that you must add a
note to your profile page at openstreetmap.org which states which
company/organisation you belong to, who pays you for editing and which
software, technology and rules you use to determine which roads you edit.
You can edit the content of your user profile page via your user settings
at openstreetmap.org.

Please add that information and answer all questions before you upload any
further edits to OpenStreetMap! Otherwise I will revert all your edits!

The user in question, a first time editor, added some service roads,
alleys, driveways and business service roads. They were all good. But my
concern is twofold. First the edits all look good. Yes they should have
added service= type, but that's not uncommon with a new mapper. There is no
good reason to revert. Second, as far as I know the Directed Edits Policy
has not been approved. Nakaner is attempting to enforce a policy before it
become a policy.

> If what the discussion on the German forum indicates is accurate, i.e.
> that there is a group of mappers performing organized edits which
> reject attempts to contact them and evade blocks established to ensure
> they do not continue without getting in contact with the community by
> creating sockpuppet accounts, i am pretty sure the local US community
> does not want this to continue in their domain and how to best
> accompish that would be a good subject of discussion.

None of us like users that don't respond to changeset comments, especially
when we know they are paid mappers. I mostly think of the SEO firms
dropping nodes with incomplete and often wrong information. Our efforts to
stop those have failed. The most infamous, what I called the "Updated" SEO,
uses a different user name with every edit. They may be doing this to avoid
disruption by users and especially DWG.   I think it is time for a new
approach.

Clifford
--
@osm_seattle