[Talk-us] Clarke County, Mississippi, county road signs and OSM name tags

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 17:13:52 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 12:24 PM Jack Burke <burkejf3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> While some counties just attach a number to a pole (e.g., many counties in Georgia), there are some that put up signs saying "CR 123" (Jasper County, Mississippi) for unnamed county roads.  However, Clarke County, Mississippi signs (with shiny new green-signs-on-a-stick) county roads as "Clarke Co. 123".  What are everyone's thoughts on how to name these roads in OSM for Clarke County?  We can just leave the name field blank and use ref=CR 123, we can do the ref tag and also include name=County Road 123, or we can do ref=CR 123 and name=Clarke County 123.  Or even ref=CR 123, name=Clarke County 123, alt_name=County Road 123.  Or swap the name= and alt_name= values.

On the way, name=* should have the name spelt out. It should usually
match the signage, so if the sign says, 'Clarke Co. 123', then the
name would ordinarily be 'Clarke County 123' or possibly 'Clarke
County Road 123' or 'Clarke County Route 123'.

Please put 'type=route route=road network=US:MS:Clarke ref=123' on a
route relation rather than on the way.  Mappers in a great many states
have adopted that convention, Not doing numbered routes with relations
causes those who render road shields on maps to tear their hair out,
because concurrencies become difficult to manage. Note the naming
there: 'US:MS:Clarke' to identify the county, and then the 'ref' is
the highway number, bare, without a 'CR' designator or any such.