[Talk-us] Wilderness in National Forest?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 03:38:57 UTC 2018

I've noticed that federal Wilderness areas in Northern California and
Southern Oregon are mapped as if they are not part of the surrounding
national forest(s).

Is this correct mapping? On older USGS maps the Wilderness areas were
always shown as being enclosed by the surrounding National Forest (or
other Federal lands).

>From Wikipedia:
"Wilderness areas are parts of national parks, wildlife refuges,
national forests, and BLM lands; some units managed by different
agencies. Initially, the NWPS included 34 areas protecting 9.1 million
acres (37,000 km2) in the national forests. ... "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Wilderness_Preservation_System

Also, boundary=protected_area is going to be rendered on the
Openstreetmap-carto style soon. I'd suggest we take a look into adding
boundary=protected_area with protect_class=* as appropriate.

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3509