[Talk-us] Monterey - Santa Cruz County line in Monterey Bay

Kevin ksamples at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:13:13 UTC 2018

In most states the coastal county boundaries correspond with the 3 nmi
state boundary.  I'm actually not aware of any that don't and from the
court cases cited in the initial email, it sounds like California counties
do in fact extend to the 3 nmi boundary. I took a look at the TIGER county
boundaries and they correspond pretty well to what's already mapped for the
Monterey-Santa Cruz boundary across Monterey Bay and they extend out 3 nmi.
I looked around for county and state sources for the boundaries, but like
Martijn said, they only go to the shoreline. Attribution in the relation
for Monterey County is "CASIL cnty24k09_1_poly.shp" which leads me to
https://geodata.lib.berkeley.edu/catalog/ark28722-s73w23.  Again this
data-set only goes to the shoreline. The source on the 3 nmi boundary is
"TIGER 2011 county borders".  What I think someone has done is use the
CASIL data on land and extended it out using TIGER to demarcate county
divisions out at the 3 nmi boundary, which I think was the correct thing to
do.

So back to the original question about the Monterey-Santa Cruz line... I
can look around for more information and may call Monterey County and see
if they have a more up-to-date county boundary.

Kevin