[Talk-us] Anyone feel like helping another mapper in New York?

Xavier xavier at dp100.com
Sun Dec 9 15:59:03 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 11:38:13AM +0000, Andy Townsend wrote:
>On 23/11/2018 21:24, Andy Townsend wrote (heavily snipped):
>>Hello,
>>
>>Over the last couple of months there have been edits by a new mapper
>>in New York who seems to like changing things but hasn't quite got
>>the hang of what they're doing yet.  ...    Comments can be seen at
>>http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=8356718 .
>
>They've edited again and I've had to revert again due to "random" node
>drags.  It'd be great if someone a bit nearer than me could help - or
>at least "weed" their edits afterwards with a bit of local knowledge.

I'm not local to NY, but those 'edits' look to be the result that can
occur if a mapper is not careful when they drag the map background
within the iD.

iD reuses the left mouse button for two, differing, functions.

1) Drag OSM data elements to new locations
2) Drag the map background around to bring a new area into view.

In dense areas (and NYC is certainly a dense area) it is *very* easy
with iD's mouse button mapping to accidentally grab a node or way and
move it unexpectedly when one really wants to shift the map viewport.
For mappers that are paying attention, they will immediately undo and
try the viewport drag again.

Your examples look to be the result of a mapper not noticing that their
mouse drag just moved OSM data around and not undoing the accidental
change.

So some small bit of cause here lies with iD and the less than great UI
of mapping two very different functions onto the same mouse button such
that it is *much* too easy to perform the wrong operation.

JSOM maps these two functions to two different mouse buttons (left for
OSM data movement, right button for "drag map viewport") so it is not
possible to accidentally drag OSM data when a viewport drag is desired
(other than by physically pressing the wrong mouse button).